Monday, July 28, 2014

Day 141 - Day 149 Showering, Allergic Reactions, Faster Healing, Moisturizer Withdrawal, Less Intense Heat Flares! (Topical Steroid Withdrawal, Red Skin Syndrome, Topical Steroid Addiction)

SHOWERING
I can now shower without it hurting!  In fact, they feel good!  The ONLY problem?  My skin seems to  need a few days to recover from one.  After shower it will be horribly red and inflamed.  Then I'll put on moisturizer and my skin will react to that (SEE MOISTURIZER WITHDRAWAL BELOW).  My biggest problem is knowing what to do... should I shower?  Should I not??  So I just wait until I'm itchy enough to need one and then go from there.  I haven't quite worked the back into my daily routine.


ALLERGIC REACTIONS:

So, month 5 has brought about a LOOOOT of food flares.  Now, I'm not sure if it's just where I'm at in healing as a lot of people have said they too have had the massive hive reaction to foods at this stage and then never again, but there's no way to tell.  All I know is month 5 has been me testing the water with food and eventually just going back to distilled water and my quinoa, kale, chicken, avocado diet.  (I am aware of the long term effects of drinking distilled... but right now, it's what I need.)   So far, the last 4 days, I have had great reduction in inflammation and have had NO flares or reactions since going back to the strict diet.


FASTER HEALING

I flared up REALLY badly the other night and broke out in SERIOUS hives ALL over my body.  I also had swollen hands and ears.  I was pretty devastated and figured it would be a huge setback, but it actually wasn't so bad.  I woke up after benedryl and the hives and swelling were gone.  I've discovered that my recovery from flares has been much quicker!  Before I would be out for a minimum of a week plus... now, it's a day or two before I feel better.  Hopefully this is a new trend!!

MOISTURIZER WITHDRAWAL

I've discovered a few things about moisturizer.


  1. It feels good... AT FIRST.  Then itches like CRAZY.  
  2. It leaves the flakey skin fragile and irritating.  It makes me want to scratch rub scratch rub until all of the flakes are gone.  I feel like it peels the skin too soon and then leaves my skin exposed to irritants.  
  3. It usually gives me bumps of irritation for several hours.
  4. My skin feels raw for a few days until the moisturizer wears off and then It feels good.  The more flakes I have, the better my skin feels.  SO weird.
So, for now, I'm ditching the moisturizer.


LESS INTENSE HEAT FLARES

This has been HUGE!!   Before, when exposed to heat or when my body temp would rise (anything that would cause me to sweat), i would have a heat flare.  These were MADDENING.  The itch was at a full blown 10 and made me want to crawl out of my skin!!  Lately, the last several days, the heat flare intensity has been a 2-3 tops!!  I sat in the sun for 15 minutes (that's a lot in 100 degree texas heat!) and didn't itch at all!  I came in and was a TINY bit itchy, but nothing I couldn't ignore.  This is AMAZING.  It's allowed me to sit in the sun a lot this week which has been wonderful.  I'm REALLY REALLY REALLY hoping the sweaty heat flares are out of the way.....

Day 141

141
Flaring... Itchy before shower

141
After shower... VERY RED

141

141

141

141

141

141

141

141

141

141

141

141
2 hours after shower


Day 142
142

142

142

142



Day 143
143

143

143

143

143

143

143



Day 144
144

144

144

144

144

144

VERY shortly after this I had a MAJOR allergic reaction.  Hives all over my entire body and swollen hands and ears.  I was too upset and freaked out to take pics.



Day 145
145
I was really dry, but SUPER happy that it didn't set me back too far.  All the hives were gone and there wasn't a lot of damage from the scratching.
145

145
Except I scratched my side right here and it BLED a LOT.


145

145

Untitled



Day 146
146

146

146

146

146

146
Felt REALLY good fro having a flare 2 days before!  From a distance I looked somewhat normal.  No eyebrows and now coloring, but NOT a monster.




Day 147
147

147

147
I sat outside for 15 minutes in the blistering heat.  This is what I looked like when i came back in.


147

147

147





Day 149
149
Had good energy and felt really good today.  

149

149
My neck is so dry it looks like leather when I turn my neck...


149
Skin is VERY dry, but doesn't feel too dry.  It actually feels really good, so I'm not going to put anything on it.  I'll just look like leather.



4 comments:

  1. Good to hear the hives only lasted a day! The hives can be super, MEGA irritating.
    Also hurray for not too many flakes ;-)
    food flares sound really strange, I hope i don't get any. Hopefully the stage will be over soon.

    It will be exciting to see how your skin progresses the next month :) will it flare again? will it continue healing? The suspense!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for progress! Have you already tried using jojoba oil for moisturizer? Please give it a shot. That's all I could tolerate when my skin was flaring. And it actually slowed down flaking. It's really fantastic for healing and isn't like cream moisturizers that can just add unnecessary substance to the skin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jenn! I have that same thing on the inner corners of the eye like rough lined type skin...in which month u noticed them to come up?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Showers. Boo! Lol I was a bath person from month 5 on. I also decided to do MW around month 5/6 as well. My skin wasn't getting any better. So I tried the Jojoba Oil which I really liked at first but then it felt like it made it worse! http://catrstephens.blogspot.com/2014/02/171-feet-getting-worse.html

    Moisturizer Withdrawal (with DSS baths) were the best thing I've done through this withdrawal and I only wish I would've started it sooner.

    Sending you Happy Healing Thoughts
    CatRStephens

    ReplyDelete